[Fedora-packaging] how to handle mimetype

Tanguy Eric eric.tanguy at univ-nantes.fr
Sat Mar 1 19:16:49 UTC 2008

Le samedi 01 mars 2008 à 10:07 +0100, Tanguy Eric a écrit :
> I'm trying to package scidavis http://scidavis.sourceforge.net/ and i
> would like the files generated by it (*.sciprj and *.sciprj.gz) will be
> associated to scidavis and opened in it when i double-click on their.
>
> So i put a desktop file in /usr/share/applications :
> [Desktop Entry]
> Encoding=UTF-8
> Name=SciDAVis
> Comment=Scientific Data Analysis and Visualization
> Comment[de]=Visualisierungs- und Datenanalyseprogramm
> Comment[fr]=Outil d'analyse scientifique de données
> Icon=scidavis
> Exec=scidavis %f
> Terminal=0
> Type=Application
> Categories=Science;Graphics;X-Fedora;
> MimeType=application/x-scidavis
> X-Desktop-File-Install-Version=0.13
>
> and a xml file in /usr/share/mime/packages :
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <mime-info
> xmlns="http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/shared-mime-info">
>   <mime-type type="application/x-scidavis">
>     <comment>Scidavis project</comment>
>     <glob pattern="*.sciprj"/>
>   </mime-type>
>
>   <mime-type type="application/x-scidavis">
>     <comment>Scidavis project</comment>
>     <glob pattern="*.sciprj.gz"/>
>   </mime-type>
> </mime-info>
>
> after this i run
> update-mime-database /usr/share/mime
> update-desktop-database
>
> but the problem is that when i create a sciprj file using scidavis the
> mime-type associated in nautilus is text/html
>
> Someone could help me to clarify this ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Eric

Modifying /usr/share/mime/packages/scidavis.xml like this :
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<mime-info xmlns="http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/shared-mime-info">
  <mime-type type="application/x-scidavis">
    <comment>Scidavis project</comment>
    <comment xml:lang="fr">Projet Scidavis</comment>
    <glob pattern="*.sciprj"/>
	 <magic priority="100">
                <match type="string" value="SciDAVis" offset="0"/>
         </magic>
  </mime-type>
</mime-info>

works except that i would like to associate an icon to this type of file and i don't achieve it.
Any more help ?

Thanks

Eric