[Fedora-packaging] any reason why "sdcc" package transforms pgms to non-standard names?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sun Mar 16 19:24:14 UTC 2008

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008, Hans de Goede wrote:

> > RPJD>   is this kind of transformation relatively common?
> >
> > Yes, it is.  See http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Conflicts
> >
> > We don't generally want packages which conflict because they
> > include the same binaries; when some package contains any files
> > which are generically named and located in standard directories.
> > Renaming or relocation is the standard solution.
> >
> > Dealing with this situation in a package that depends on things
> > which have been renamed isn't usually too difficult, although in
> > this case I don't know what the simplest solution is.  One almost
> > wishes for a directory containing symlinks that you could add to
> > the head of $PATH.

i assumed something like this was going on.  but after a quick check,
i'm still curious:

1) who's the fedora packager for sdcc?  "rpm -qi sdcc" doesn't seem to
refer to a particular person.  it lists packager simply as "fedora
project."

2) is there a way to find out what package it was conflicting with,
and how?  i imagine once i learn who the packager is, that part will
be easy to figure out.

> And such a directory is a standard part of the Fedora sdcc package:
> rpm -ql sdcc
> <snip>
> /usr/libexec/sdcc/as-gbz80
> /usr/libexec/sdcc/as-hc08
> /usr/libexec/sdcc/as-z80
> /usr/libexec/sdcc/aslink
> /usr/libexec/sdcc/asx8051
> /usr/libexec/sdcc/link-gbz80
> /usr/libexec/sdcc/link-hc08
> /usr/libexec/sdcc/link-z80
> /usr/libexec/sdcc/makebin
> /usr/libexec/sdcc/packihx
> /usr/libexec/sdcc/s51
> /usr/libexec/sdcc/savr
> /usr/libexec/sdcc/sdcc
> /usr/libexec/sdcc/sdcclib
> /usr/libexec/sdcc/sdcdb
> /usr/libexec/sdcc/sdcpp
> /usr/libexec/sdcc/shc08
> /usr/libexec/sdcc/sz80
> /usr/share/doc/sdcc-2.6.0
> /usr/share/doc/sdcc-2.6.0/INSTALL.txt
> /usr/share/doc/sdcc-2.6.0/README.fedora
> <snip>

ah, i hadn't even noticed that.  yes, that should solve the problem,
thanks.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
    Have classroom, will lecture.