[Fedora-packaging] crypto in fedora

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Thu Mar 20 12:00:25 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 07:47:41AM -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-03-20 at 10:23 +0100, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> > Then we have to register crypto packages somewhere such that the people
> > in charge can do the paperwork, isn't it? Don't we need a guideline
> > here?
>
> I actually need to prep a guideline that has all packages with crypto
> technology block FE-LEGAL (if that's still the alias).  We'll use that
> to get an audit of the code to make sure its either not new crypto, or
> if it is, alert the appropriate people for export filings.

Looks good.

There are other questions that should be answered, however, in my opinion
(with external sources of information if possible, no need to be fedora
centric).

What is the criteria for being a crypto technology? It is easy to spot
many packages that are not crypto, but for others it is not very clear
to me. For example at which point a math library becomes a crypto
library? And what about an applicatin that compute hashes? Also does the
registration need to be done each time there is a new release or once
for all?

--
Pat