[Fedora-packaging] Java packaging guidelines draft

Fernando Nasser fnasser at redhat.com
Fri Mar 28 18:36:55 UTC 2008

Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-03-28 at 09:50 -0400, Fernando Nasser wrote:
>> We had agreed on an "exit clause" of dropping this when the RPM/yum
>> Capabilities (?) feature became available to replace the deprecated
>> Groups, so we could mark packages with various attributes like
>> "Java",
>> "JPP" etc, and select them at will in all sorts of operations.
>
> This could just as easily go in the "Group:" tag, and not complicate the
> n-v-r.

Unfortunately not.  We've tried, remember?  There were some
bugs/limitations in rpm and yum that prevented us to use it
(don't ask me to remember the details after so long, but it is in the
archives).  Over those 3 months we tried _everything_ in existance util
we all concluded that we needed the new tag.