[Fedora-packaging] Policy question: how tight should cross-subpackage Requires be?

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Mon May 5 23:40:20 UTC 2008

"Nicolas Mailhot" <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> writes:
> Le Lun 5 mai 2008 21:35, Hans de Goede a écrit :
>> Ugh, no no no, thats just ugly for no good reason, just add a Requires
>> to the full version of the base package, or the sub-package that the
>> sub-package needs.

> That only works if you have a nice subpackage hierarchy. Not all
> packages are like that

Sure, but I don't think we should saddle every package with complexity
that is only needed in a few special cases.  My packages all have very
simple subpackage structure, and AFAICS putting in Conflicts: would just
be overkill.

Another possible issue is whether a Conflicts-based solution is as
friendly to the depsolver.  I have no idea if it's true or not, but
it seems at least possible that "get me this version" is faster to solve
than "don't get me this version, but you'd better find something".

			regards, tom lane