[Fedora-packaging] jpp naming exception

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon May 19 18:39:01 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 14:20 -0400, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> I would agree with this assessment, and accordingly, I would like us to
> vote to eliminate the jpp naming exception during tomorrows meeting.
> Bring your flame-retardant underwear, but I would like to put this to
> bed.

While I'm not in the Fedora Packaging Committee anymore, I do have some
history with this little bit of goo.  I agree with spot and notting in
that we've done our due dilligance to provide alternatives to
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DeepakBhole/ReasonsForKeepingJPP and if
jpackage doesn't like those, really that's on them to fix now.  As far
as Fedora users who may also be jpackage users there are more
deterministic and reliable methods to achieve the technical goals listed
above.  At the end of the day that is who we have to service, the Fedora
users.

<notting> <snip> using repository priorities (via yum-priorities) solves
the first three points on that page entirely. #4 is politics. #5 is a
fragile
          metric, and really needs to be solved by developer<->developer
conversation, rather than by package naming

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!