[Fedora-packaging] New packager question

Gregory Hosler ghosler at redhat.com
Mon May 19 01:40:02 UTC 2008

Hi all,

new packager here.

Apologies in advance for any ignorant questions.

:)

I'm the package maintainer/co-maintainer and I am now getting ready to do my first package
update (the original commit was done for me :).

I have been thru the PackageMaintainers/UpdatingPackageHowTo wiki.

I have setup my cvs stage area. That was straight forward.

I now am preparing to update the fedora package from upstream. The recent upstream package
updates (i.e. since the original commit to fedora) include not only a new source tarball,
but in addition, some spec file changes (to incorporate a division of sub-packages, as
well as re-arrange the directory structure of the package deployment layout, stuff like that).

As I walk thru the PackageMaintainers/UpdatingPackageHowTo, it instructs me how to setup
cvs (done), import my new tarball to the devel branch and then to do a make. But I am not
seeing how my new (changed) spec file is to be integrated into the structure.

First question: What is the procedure when there are changes to the spec file ?

Next, as I study PackageMaintainers/UpdatingPackageHowTo and my cvs area, in my cvs area I
see {common, CVS, devel, EL-4, EL-5, F-7, F-8, F-9} CVS I understand. and I understand
that the {EL-4, EL-5, F-7, F-8, F-9} sub dirs are for the different fedora/epel repos. I'm
lacking some clarity as to the migration of files from devel to {EL-4, EL-5, F-7, F-8,
F-9}, and/or {common}

I am gathering that changes are done in devel first, and then after they build correctly,
those changes/updates are then applied to the respective branch from {EL-4, EL-5, F-7,
F-8, F-9}, one at a time. Is this correct ?

now, the pc I'm using for development is presently F-8, i386; How do I verify a package
for other platforms, other hardware ? I have heard of mock, koji, and have been to the
relevant wiki pages. I'm more needing some step-by-step guidance, as to what needs to be
done, and the order of things :)

I'm guessing that once I've been thru this once or twice, it'll become 2nd nature, so
please bear with me thru this introduction :)

Any help / suggestions / (and esp) clarifications regarding the above, are most welcome.

All the best,

- -Greg

- --

Please also check the log file at "/dev/null" for additional information.
		(from /var/log/Xorg.setup.log)

| Greg Hosler					ghosler at redhat.com    |