[Fedora-packaging] New packager question

Gregory Hosler ghosler at redhat.com
Mon May 19 10:53:16 UTC 2008

Patrice Dumas wrote:
| On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 06:30:02PM +0800, Gregory Hosler wrote:
|> So you're saying that anything committed to devel will eventually find it's way to the
|> other branches (F-*) ?
|
| No, it will find its way to F-10 only. You should make the changes you
| want to the other branches yourself.

Ok. makes sense. So once I feel comfortable with the devel build, I then re-do my changes
for the other F-* branches.

Q: How do I monitor/track/follow whether there were any issues for a devel commit, for any
other platform. e.g. x32_64 -- i.e. how frequently are builds done, and when are teh
results known ?

Q: ditto on the other branches (F-9, F-8, etc.)

|> | I personally think that it is bad to break ABI in releases, or do
|> | updates that have incompatible configuration files, but there
|> | are differing opinions on that matter. Which package is it ?
|>
|> gyachi -- it's an instant messaging package, lots of eye candy. does yahoo protocol.
|
| Looks like there is no library, but a plugin system, so there are issues of
| ABI compatibility, though you should know if they broke the plugins API
| for plugins that are not shipped with the main program. If no, my advice
| would be to push it to all the branches unless the new release is not
| compatible with previous user config, but I hope they didn't do
| something like that.

I'm the principle maintainer, so I have "inside knowledge" of the ABI issues...

The version I will be pushing will create a library that is a collection of common
routines that are shared between the different package components. It's really a "private"
library, and doesn't really have any practical use outside of the package. That being the
case, I'll none-the-less keep an eye on the ABI aspect of the library.

At the moment, adding external plugin's is not feasible (yet). True plugin support,
requires that the plug in add a "hook" into the menu sub-system, so that the plugin can be
called (or effects to that nature, for non-menu related plugins). At the moment, that
layer (allowing a plugin to add a menu item, so as to invoke it's callbacks) is not there.
Obviously this has been thought about, and it is planned. At THAt point ABI compatibility
will be a much bigger issue. :)

So, for now, there aren't ABI issues...

Many thanks for your responses,

- -Greg

- --

Please also check the log file at "/dev/null" for additional information.
		(from /var/log/Xorg.setup.log)

| Greg Hosler					ghosler at redhat.com    |