[Fedora-packaging] jpp naming exception

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Mon May 19 18:20:47 UTC 2008

Hi FPC members,

I would like to propose that we eliminate the jpp naming exception.

I think that Bill Nottingham summarized the issue nicely:

<notting> ok, as far as I can see:
<notting> jpackage wants (the equivalent of) repotags
<notting> we do not support repotags in fedora
<notting> we have grandfathered in a %{release} hack for jpacakge for a
while
<notting> we'd like to get rid of that
<notting> if they're going to insist that anything done to get rid of
that is unacceptable because it's not a repotag... oh well
<notting> but yum-priorities is a 'better' solution for repotags than
Group-hackery :)

I would agree with this assessment, and accordingly, I would like us to
vote to eliminate the jpp naming exception during tomorrows meeting.
Bring your flame-retardant underwear, but I would like to put this to
bed.

A few points to keep in mind:

1. This is solely about the naming exception in Fedora, not in any other
repositories.
2. We do not permit repotags in any other scenario in Fedora.
3. Using the yum-priorities plugin permits weighting a third party
repository over Fedora for packages.

As usual, FESCo will have to ratify this.

Thanks in advance,

~spot