[Fedora-packaging] New packager question

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams ivazqueznet at gmail.com
Mon May 19 19:30:55 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 18:42 +0800, Gregory Hosler wrote:
> ok, so if I understand properly...
>
> 	cvs update
>
> go to the devel, directory, update the spec file, then
>
> 	cvs commit
>
> (And to clarify, the above commit should be delayed until several steps below, where I
> have done a build on my system, yes?)
>
> and then
>
> 	make new-sources FILES="yournewtarball.tar.gz"

Uploading a new tarball frobs a couple of files in the branch, so you'll
want to do that *before* committing.

> Q: Do I have the tarball in the current (devel, or whatever) directory, or do I just
> specify the path to it, and "it doesn't matter" ?

I don't think it matters, but the process of building will download the
source files to the branch directory regardless.

> Q: does the above line push the new tarball into cvs ? or do i need a commit ?

You need to commit after.

> and then (if I understand correctly):
>
> 	make i386
>
> will make an i386 package on my current i386 system yes ?

It will build it using the packages you currently have installed on your
system. Consider using make mockbuild instead.

> Once I have a successful build
>
> 	cvs commit
> 	make tag
> 	make build
>
> (all above 3 lines from the devel directory).

There's no hard requirement that you commit a completely-working build;
nothing actually gets built until you direct koji/plague to do so.

> I'm terribly paranoid about submitting a package that will break while building, even
> though I've built it many times in my own environment...

You don't get penalized for non-working builds, so don't worry.

> Devel builds goes where ? F-10 ? F-9 ? rawhide ?

Rawhide, which will currently eventually become F10.