[Fedora-packaging] rubygem with extension written in C

David Lutterkort lutter at redhat.com
Mon Nov 3 19:04:54 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-11-01 at 02:57 +0900, Mamoru Tasaka wrote:
> Hello, all:
>
> During reviews (and also on my package) I met with some troubles
> when packaging Ruby Gems containing extension libraries written
> in C.
>
> Would you look at my proposition written in the following URL?
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Mtasaka/PackagingDrafts/RubyGem_with_C_code
>
> Any comments will be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

First off, I think this is a very good step in the right direction. A
couple of questions:

      * Is the example snippet from a spec file meant only for gems with
        extension libraries or for all gems ?
      * Do you have a full example somewhere that follows your
        recommendations ?
      * As for missing files in ext/, I would be happy either way; since
        the C sources for extensions are usually very small, it would be
        ok to install them as part of the rubygem- package. OTOH, I
        don't see much danger in leaving them out from the rubygem. The
        main point of building a rubygem- RPM is so that users can
        satisfy rubygem-level dependencies for other rubygems with the
        RPM-installed rubygem, i.e. if gem A is packaged as an rpm, and
        a user wants to 'gem install B' where B has a gem-level dep on
        A, that should still work. Users shouldn't expect that a 'gem
        uninstall A' would work - it would confuse RPM, anyway.

David