[Fedora-packaging] rubygem with extension written in C

Mamoru Tasaka mtasaka at ioa.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Tue Nov 4 10:46:20 UTC 2008

Thank you for reply.

David Lutterkort wrote, at 11/04/2008 04:04 AM +9:00:

> First off, I think this is a very good step in the right direction. A
> couple of questions:
>
>       * Is the example snippet from a spec file meant only for gems with
>         extension libraries or for all gems ?

- Currently only with extention libraries.
  If rpm created from gem file is completely noarch, gem file can be installed
  under %{buildroot}%{gemdir} directly.
  (However, of course, there is no problem if we first install gem files
   under %{_builddir} first even if it is noarch)

>       * Do you have a full example somewhere that follows your
>         recommendations ?

- I tried to rewrite spec files in Fedora related to rubygem, which I put
  under
  http://mtasaka.fedorapeople.org/rubygem_specs/
  The easiest example is
  http://mtasaka.fedorapeople.org/rubygem_specs/rubygem-fastthread.spec

>       * As for missing files in ext/, I would be happy either way; since
>         the C sources for extensions are usually very small, it would be
>         ok to install them as part of the rubygem- package. OTOH, I
>         don't see much danger in leaving them out from the rubygem. The
>         main point of building a rubygem- RPM is so that users can
>         satisfy rubygem-level dependencies for other rubygems with the
>         RPM-installed rubygem, i.e. if gem A is packaged as an rpm, and
>         a user wants to 'gem install B' where B has a gem-level dep on
>         A, that should still work. Users shouldn't expect that a 'gem
>         uninstall A' would work - it would confuse RPM, anyway.

- Thanks. I added some guideline proposal about files under ext/ C codes with
  reflecting your commends.

> David

Regards,
Mamoru