[Fedora-packaging] Packaging rubygem-passenger and "mod_rails"

Mamoru Tasaka mtasaka at ioa.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Sat Nov 8 15:58:27 UTC 2008

Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote, at 11/08/2008 10:47 PM +9:00:

> rubygem-passenger upstream is a Ruby on Rails deployment utility that
> practically makes installing a new version of a Ruby on Rails web
> application a drag-and-drop action. Anyway;
>
> One part of the upstream release is the Ruby Gem - which, when
> installed, offers a command that says;
>
> passenger-install-apache2-module
>
> which is mod_rails/mod_rack, and can be loaded in httpd so that it's all
> nice and integrated and nifty.
>
> Problem is, "passenger-install-apache2-module" is building the .so and
> now I'm seeing a chicken-or-egg problem;
>
> I need the gem to be installed to be able to build the httpd module, and
> the httpd module is built from the same source(s).

Hello.

I don't know rubygem-passenger at all and only tried to write a spec file
for this package very quickly (so I don't know how/if my spec file works),
however I guess my quick draft can be useful:

http://mtasaka.fedorapeople.org/rubygem_specs/rubygem-passenger.spec

! note:
  Currently this spec file makes many rpmlint errors or warnings but
  I just wrote this spec file quickly and didn't try to suppress these
  messages.

! note 2:
  Also please refer to the current discussion about rubygems with C code:
  https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-packaging/2008-November/msg00000.html
  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Mtasaka/PackagingDrafts/RubyGem_with_C_code

Regards,
Mamoru