[Fedora-packaging] The role of %{_libexecdir} for using environment-modules

Denis Leroy denis at poolshark.org
Wed Oct 8 08:28:35 UTC 2008

Jussi Lehtola wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I'm working on a couple of packages (gromacs and gromacs3) that are
> going to use environment-modules since they have a lot of binaries that
> otherwise would go to /usr/bin and some of them have very generic names
> (e.g. wheel, luck and highway). This way a user can have both the new
> release series and the old stable series installed and decide which
> version to use.
>
> What is the correct place to put these (architecture dependent)
> binaries? Is it OK to use %{_libexecdir}/%{name} (or
> %{name}-%{version}) ?

I would recommend %{_libexecdir}/%{name} which seems fairly common. Or
possibly %{_libexecdir}/%{name}-%{ABI} or %{name}-%{version}, but does
it really make sense to have multiple versions installed at the same
time ? Will that be a common scenario for gromacs users ?

As for finding the binaries, I would personally prefer to patch the code
to look for the binaries in the packaged directory rather than use
profile.d.

-denis