[Fedora-packaging] The role of %{_libexecdir} for using environment-modules

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Wed Oct 8 16:24:22 UTC 2008

On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 15:38:15 +0200 "Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski"
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 08 October 2008 at 15:28, Ed Hill wrote:
> >
> > And +1 for a convention such as
> >
> >   /usr/libexec/%{name}
> >   /usr/libexec/%{name}-%{version}
> >
> > that allows both names and, if desired, versions.
>
> It still feels like a bit of an abuse of libexec.
> I prefer using %{_libdir}/%{name}(-%{version})/bin for this purpose.
> Some packages do that (that is, keep their binaries there).

What reason(s) do you have for the preference ?

If you use %{_libdir} then you will have to deal with multi-lib which,
in my opinion, needlessly complicates paths in the environment-modules
files.

If you use %{_libexecdir} then you do *not* have to worry about any
multilib issues -- they are automatically sorted out for you.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD  |  ed at eh3.com  |  http://eh3.com/