[Fedora-packaging] The role of %{_libexecdir} for using environment-modules

Jussi Lehtola jussi.lehtola at iki.fi
Wed Oct 8 15:28:58 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-08 at 17:15 +0200, Denis Leroy wrote:
> Rex Dieter wrote:
> > Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> >> It still feels like a bit of an abuse of libexec.
> >> I prefer using %{_libdir}/%{name}(-%{version})/bin for this purpose.
> >
> > Agreed.  As had been pointed out already, libexec is for private stuff,
> > not exposed to the end-user.
>
> Agreed also.

OK, I'll put the binaries to %{_libdir}/%{name}-%{version}/bin .

> so there are 2 issues to discuss here:
>
> 1) multiple concurrent versions installed. Is that really necessary ? Is
> it a question of binary data compatibility, or a whole set of features
> that were removed by the new version ?

Yes, I think it is. Anyway, IMHO this is a side point for the
discussion.

> 2) where to put the binaries. Gromacs seems to have 50+ executables
> (what's the exact number?). Most have non-trivial names with a "g_"
> prefix, a few are more conflict-prone, namely "wheel", "highway" or
> "editconf".

Well, since there are single and double precision versions of every tool
and a couple MPI enabled programs as well, the current total is 184, of
which 66 don't have names beginning with g_ .
Jussi Lehtola, FM, Tohtorikoulutettava
Fysiikan laitos, Helsingin Yliopisto
jussi.lehtola at helsinki.fi, p. 191 50623
Mr. Jussi Lehtola, M. Sc., Doctoral Student
Department of Physics, University of Helsinki, Finland
jussi.lehtola at helsinki.fi