[Fedora-packaging] The role of %{_libexecdir} for using environment-modules

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 18:59:09 UTC 2008

Rex Dieter wrote:
> Ed Hill wrote:
>
>> If you use %{_libdir} then you will have to deal with multi-lib
>
> What makes you say that?

As Ralf said, when you place binaries into %{_libdir} you have to deal
with different paths on different systems.

On x86:
  /usr/lib/gromacs-2/bin/wheel

On x86_64:
  /usr/lib64/gromacs-2/bin/wheel

There's two possible ways to work around this:
%{_libexecdir}
  /usr/libexec/gromacs-2/bin/wheel

/usr/lib (*not* %{_libdir}):
  /usr/lib/gromacs-2/bin/wheel

I don't know that I favor one of these over the other... they both have
precedent.  You could look at this as end-user applications or as
environment-modules making these binaries "private" to the
environment-modules "program".

A third way to look at this would be to have an environment-modules
directory and place things within that:
  /usr/libexec/environment-modules/gromacs-2/bin/wheel

I'm not sure whether environment-modules only handles executables or if
it also handles libraries, datafiles, etc, though.  So I don't know
whether that's the best place for an environment-modules directory to
live.  Ed, do you have a comment on whether this is a good or bad idea
for use of environment-modules?

-Toshio