[Fedora-packaging] README.Dist is preferrable to README.Fedora

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sun Oct 26 17:25:20 UTC 2008

On 26.10.2008 17:44, Patrice Dumas wrote:
>> PD> But is it fedora specific, or specific to the setup of the
>> PD> package?
>> Now you're just being obtuse.  I wrote the package _for_ Fedora.  It's
> That's exactly my point. It is written for fedora, but is not specific
> of fedora. That's why I think it is better to avoid using fedora, but
> instead use a word, both more neutral and more appropriate, like
> package.

+1 -- especially with the remixes on the horizon it will get confusing
if you have "README.Fedora" on a dist called "Foobar" (which is a remix
of Fedora; but the user might not know that)

>> a Fedora package.  The information is specific to the default
>> configuration of the package in Fedora.  The apache configuration file
>> in my example doesn't come from upstream; it is part of the Fedora
>> package.  README.Fedora is an entirely appropriate name for a file
>> explaining that.
> It is appropriate, but README.package seems more appropriate to me,
> since it is part of the package and it allows to reuse it in other
> contexts without having to rename anything (reuse in EPEL, in 3rd party
> repo, for local builds and local repository or 'private' repositories
> accessible on the web...).

+1

And Patrice, thanks again for your work driving this issue forward; I
really appreciate it as I really think it makes a whole lot of sense to
have a common name scheme. There are often compromises that need to be
made during packaging that are ideally explained somewhere (like for
example dropping support for mp3); if we use a common name scheme for
files that explain these issues then we can just add something like
"some package contain additional notes for Fedora specific qualities;
those are explained in a file README.package that is shipped together
with the docs of each package". Well, not exactly that text, but
something like that -- you'll get the idea ;-)

Cu
knurd