[Fedora-packaging] package review template

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Oct 3 09:00:35 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 10:04 +0200, Till Maas wrote:
> On Fri October 3 2008, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>
> > Do we really need this? I'd rather see reviewers, who "switch on their
> > brains" instead of watching people who are mechanically filling out
> > forms.
>
> I made the experience, that a review template helps to not forget to check
> something, especially when one does not review packages very often. It also
> helps a little to keep track of what was already checked in reviews that take
> longer than some days to complete. In case you think the review guidelines
> demand too many checks, then they should be adjusted.
Well, yes, I think the guidelines have grown fat and bloated.

However, one of my actual point is a bit different: Once one starts
formulating such a "template", people will start to nit-pick and to
argue on (missing) details (e.g. corner-cases) and in longer terms will
start to demand for "laws", "regulations" and "forms".

Such demands will typically originate from people who don't actually
understand why certain "guidelines" exist, but reduce "guidelines" to
"formal bureaucratic regulations".

Ralf