[Fedora-packaging] package review template

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Fri Oct 3 09:34:51 UTC 2008

On Fri October 3 2008, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> However, one of my actual point is a bit different: Once one starts
> formulating such a "template", people will start to nit-pick and to
> argue on (missing) details (e.g. corner-cases) and in longer terms will
> start to demand for "laws", "regulations" and "forms".

I guess we have different pictures about such a template. For me it would be
an itemized list, where each item is a summary of one guideline from all the
Guideline documents, maybe with an URL that links to the specific guideline.
The nit-picking should then only affect the normal guidelines.

> Such demands will typically originate from people who don't actually
> understand why certain "guidelines" exist, but reduce "guidelines" to
> "formal bureaucratic regulations".

I am one of these who do not lnow why certain guidelines exist, but this is
imho another problem, because it is not explained for most of the guidelines,
why they exist. Iirc someone already suggested that each guideline should be
explained, but I guess the one who know the reasons, do not have the time to
explain them.

Regards,
Till