[Fedora-packaging] The role of %{_libexecdir} for using environment-modules

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Oct 9 04:06:33 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-08 at 21:41 -0400, Jens Petersen wrote:
> > As Ralf said, when you place binaries into %{_libdir} you have to deal
> > with different paths on different systems.
> >
> > On x86:
> >   /usr/lib/gromacs-2/bin/wheel
> >
> > On x86_64:
> >   /usr/lib64/gromacs-2/bin/wheel
>
> I don't see any problem with using %{_libdir} for this: it should be
> straight forward to script into the environment modules and it would
> even allow multilib if for some obscure user that were desirable.
Well, on Linux applications are always linked against one architecture
only (or noarched), i.e. multilibs are not of any importance, here.

Multi-arch'ing (The ability to run "non-native" application; e.g.
running ix86 binaries on x86_64) can be relevant in some cases.

However, in practice, such cases are rare. Apart of applications which
lack full "native support" (e.g. firefox plugins), the only cases I've
encountered so far is packages containing library testsuites/example
applications. To package them, %libdir/... seem to be the only viable
option.

Ralf