[Fedora-packaging] The role of %{_libexecdir} for using environment-modules

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Oct 9 15:59:40 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 19:11 +0530, Debarshi Ray wrote:
> > Wrt. the GNU-Standards, packages with "private" executables in
> > in /usr/lib qualify as packaging bugs.
> >
> > In Fedora reality however, most packages shipping "private" executables
> > in /usr/lib inherited this either from their RH packaging history
> > or from their packagers/upstream's ignorance/unawareness on the
> > GNU-Standards.
>
> I have a package, 'bouml', which invokes private executables placed
> inside %{_libdir}/bouml/. Is this serious enough to patch the package
No, there are plenty of packages which do so as well ;-)

> or try to convince upstream to change?
If I were you, I'd try to do so. If what you say applies, their package
simply doesn't comply to the GNU-Standards.

>  The package is somewhat big,
> and I would not like to patch it if it was not really needed.
I don't know this package, but if they are using automake, such a change
should be pretty easy and straight forward to implement.

Ralf