[Fedora-packaging] how to include rpm-specific files in the spec

Jarod Wilson jarod at redhat.com
Fri Oct 10 13:19:50 UTC 2008

On Friday 10 October 2008 08:49:59 Hubert Plociniczak wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I couldn't find answer to my question on any guidelines page, so I am
> going to ask the question on the list.
>
> The problem I have is that we have a rpm package (obviously) that uses
> some general tarball of the product as a source. Additionally we have
> rpm-specific files like .spec, init.d script, README, other scripts etc.
> Now the question is how should we include them in the package.
> I see two options:
> 1) include them as another source in the spec, so we will have two
> source tarballs
> 2) include rpm-specific files as a patch
>
> Are there any others?
> Now, under debian, the debian-specific files are included in diff.tar.gz
> so I was wondering if under rpm the recommended way is option 2.

Either 1 or 2 is acceptable, or even a mix of the two. Note that for #1, they
don't necessarily have to be tarballs, the can be individual files if it makes
sense. Pretty much up to the packager's best judgment how to get the
additional bits included, the most important part is that the primary
tarball(s) are pristine upstream sources (barring any license or patent issues
that require ripping something out).

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at redhat.com