[Fedora-packaging] Re: PackagingDrafts/AutoConf

Braden McDaniel braden at endoframe.com
Wed Oct 15 23:44:42 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-15 at 10:53 +0200, Till Maas wrote:
> On Wed October 15 2008, Braden McDaniel wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-10-15 at 09:52 +0200, Enrico Scholz wrote:
>
> > > Use 'touch --reference' and submit an patch to upstream which adds
> > > 'AM_MAINTAINER_MODE' to configure.ac.
> >
> > Many maintainers have made a conscious choice not to use that macro.  I
> > know I have.
>
> Why?

      * Many users expect the dependency checking it turns off by
        default to be on by default.
      * I think it is entirely appropriate to expect those who play with
        the timestamps of files in a distribution to take care when
        doing so.

And what Ralf said.

And as Ralf noted, this macro is controversial enough to have that
controversy noted in its documentation in the Automake manual.
Rehashing that controversy here isn't going to change anything.

--
Braden McDaniel                           e-mail: <braden at endoframe.com>
<http://endoframe.com>                    Jabber: <braden at jabber.org>