[Fedora-packaging] README.Dist is preferrable to README.Fedora

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Sat Oct 25 22:17:58 UTC 2008

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 12:54:54AM +0900, Mamoru Tasaka wrote:

> I don't care about other distrubution than Fedora.
> Well, the file named "README.Fedora" I wrote is really what I meant
> for Fedora. I don't want to take any responsibility for other distrubution.

It is not about taking responsibility or not. It is about the change
being fedora specific or not. If you look at the xtide package, what is
in th eREADME.Fedora is not specific of fedora. It is specific of the
package, sure, but not of fedora.

> The maintainers on other distribution may want to reuse what I wrote
> for Fedora, but in such case the maintainer (of other distrubution)
> must mention:
> The notes Fedora maintainer writes are also applied to the package
> distributed on this distrubition, so I bollowed the notes.
>
> If you see something wrong on this notes please ask "me", not Fedora
> maintainer.

=Only if the license say so, and it currently doesn't.

> Well, I think generally the package maintainer on a distrubution
> must write the notes for the distrubution (if any) by his/her
> responsibility.

Right, but, in the xtide case, and it is true of all the case I have
come accross, the notes have nothing fedora specific (apart from the
bugzilla adress, and it is in any case not the right place to tell where
fedora bugzilla is). They are linked with how the package is done, but
have nothing fedora specific, really.

--
Pat