[Fedora-packaging] Use of Internal Libraries

Nigel Jones dev at nigelj.com
Thu Sep 18 13:41:50 UTC 2008

Hey guys,

So I know we have
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#Duplication_of_system_libraries which I think is pretty good, easy to understand and fairly simple.

The problem I think is that some upstream's still want to ship internal,
modified libraries.

Prime examples are mono packages, I can think of Banshee, Cowbell and
f-spot from personal experience.

It's got to point where another upstream is giving me a little bit of
hard time over it all, I even had a Debian developer agree with our
guidelines (they have the same).

Upstream says "it's a guideline not a rule".

_MY_ question is, what can we (Fedora) do to make it clear that we have
clear cut rules for why we don't want packages providing internal
libraries?

- NJ
--
Nigel Jones <dev at nigelj.com>