[Fedora-packaging] Use of Internal Libraries

Paul paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Thu Sep 18 14:01:01 UTC 2008

Hi,

> _MY_ question is, what can we (Fedora) do to make it clear that we have
> clear cut rules for why we don't want packages providing internal
> libraries?

As long as it's explained to upstream why we have this guide, then we've
really done all we can.

Take Mono.Cecil. It's not in GAC as the API is not stable, so
MonoDevelop and a few other packages all come with their own sources of
Mono.Cecil which may or may not be the same as the ones we built
Mono.Cecil with.

As MD accesses it's own Mono.Cecil which it built (which is not in GAC),
it is not likely to interfere with anything, however upstream will use
that as a reason for including their own sources.

Realistically, what can we do about it - nothing as if upstream want to
do as they do then all we can do is remove the package or start
submitting piles of bugs when things go wrong to try and force them
around to our way of doing things. Some may, some may continue
regardless.

Bit of a bummer that...

TTFN

Paul