[Fedora-packaging] Re: Use of Internal Libraries

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at greysector.net
Fri Sep 19 12:59:22 UTC 2008

On Friday, 19 September 2008 at 09:59, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-09-19 at 10:34 +0300, Axel Thimm wrote:
[...]
> > Just to quote one such example: ffmpeg is a fast moving target, and
> > any project depending on the lib API is cutting a checkout, patching
> > it a up and using it for its own purposes. Replacing these internal
> > ffmpegs with a system ffmpeg is a nightmare or even impossible w/o
> > rewriting the app interface to it. Given that ffmpeg and friends fall
> > under the patent forbidden class we don't see that directly in Fedora,
> > but this issue is still out there.
> Well, ffmpeg is a special case wrt. many issues. If they were doing a
> proper job, they would release properly versioned packages with properly
> versioned APIs, which could be installed in parallel.

They(we) don't have the manpower to do proper releases, but we do maintain
properly versioned API/ABI. The position of a release manager for FFmpeg
has been open for months. Many people complained, but nobody is willing
to do the legwork.

Regards,
R.

Livna http://rpm.livna.org | MPlayer http://mplayerhq.hu