[Fedora-packaging] Re: Use of Internal Libraries

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sat Sep 20 09:31:49 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 07:55:38PM +0200, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> > Note I mentioned the API, which is still changing on a regular
> > basis. For ffmpeg it doesn't actually help that there are no releases
> > ever either.
>
> API is not changing on a regular basis either. If there are incompatible
> changes, they are accompanied by a major version bump.

The soname changes are for the ABI changes, the API does change more
than often.

> > > without bumping the major version of the affected library. The
> > > pkg-config support is put properly in place, too, so if you haven't
> > > done that already, it's high time to begin convincing depdendent
> > > projects to start supporting shared FFmpeg. I've already begun
> > > working on fixing the main consumer of FFmpeg, MPlayer, to do that.
> >
> > Unless ffmpeg actually releases anything again I doubt that too many
> > projects will try to depend on an external shared lib whose API
> > stability window is a few weeks.
>
> Actually most of what we have in livna/rpmfusion does work with external
> shared libs. And the API stability window is rather closer to 3 years.

So the recent moving of the header files which is part of the API was
three years ago and not that summer?

Everything that requires an upstream's intervention to make a library
link again is API breakage. If the consumer app FTBFS it's an API
breakage.

3 years ago ffmpeg was a different project. Try building anything from
livna against a one year old ffmpeg, you'll be surprised. :/
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net