[Fedora-packaging] Re: Use of Internal Libraries

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sat Sep 20 09:50:15 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 11:49:15AM -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> Axel Thimm wrote:
> >> Then let me answer with my "developer's hat" on:
> >>
> >> The reason why such "forks" exist, often is disagreement between
> >> "upstream" and "fork" devs, because they disagree on APIs/usage and the
> >> like.
> >>
> >> Upstreams often accuse "fork devs" to be abusing their libraries/APIs
> >> (e.g. using undocumented internals). Conversely, "fork devs" often
> >> accuse "upstreams" not to listen to "users' demands".
> >>
> >> I.e. in many cases such conflicts will hardly be resolvable.
> >
> > Yes, and sometimes as in the case of ffmpeg and minilzo upstream even
> > wants you to take a snapshot, e.g. the "forking" is in their
> > consent.
> >
> Upstream is wrong.  The consequences of their actions don't come back to
> haunt them, though, they come back to haunt us.  If there's a security
> hole in their library snapshot, their answer can be "we fixed that two
> months ago.  Why didn't you update?"  Our answer would have to be: "We
> have an unfixed vulnerability in gnome-foo-player, toms-foo-player, and
> foo-plus-player.  We are not able to fix these until we perform a port
> to an incompatible ffmpeg snapshot for the maintainers of the affected
> software."

Or backport to the versions needed. That's what RHEL does. And you now
have the choice to

o either not package it
o package it as a shared external lib in its own package and have the
  same problem.

Using "system libraries" just means blessing one version of the
upstream project. Which if you want to follow security issues would
need to be the latest and greatest. Which means that projects that
have cut an older version of it will not run/build anymore.

So at the end we just don't ship them, as we do for x11vnc. Is that
the preferred outcome?

> >> Well, ffmpeg is a special case wrt. many issues. If they were doing a
> >> proper job, they would release properly versioned packages with properly
> >> versioned APIs, which could be installed in parallel.
> >
> > Even if so, would Fedora package 20 different versions of ffmpeg to
> > satisfy the 20 different consumers? There wouldn't be any benefits to
> > an internal lib either: If there is a security flaw fixed in ffmpeg
> > 1004.0.1 the versions 900.x.y to 1003.x.y would be just as insecure as
> > external packages.
> >

> I think there is benefit:
> 1) If the library is statically linked in the application it's harder to
> find in a quick audit.
>
> 2) If the flaw affects a range of library versions (for instance,
> 899.x.y is unaffected), having them be packaged separately makes finding
> the affected versions and fixing them easier than finding out which
> versions of the private library each app has.
>
> Also, one of the goals of a distribution is to make programs and
> libraries work together.  So the approach we'd likely want to take is
> choosing a few versions of the library that we could support (probably
> in conjunction with other distros) and then porting the apps to one of
> those library versions and getting upstreams to update their private
> libs to those versions since we were willing to do the port for them.

Well, be my guest. Many have attempted to do so in some cases, but if
upstream is *fast*, you will never catch up, and different
distributions will chose different snapshots depending on the consumer
apps they target, so coordinating will be more than difficult.

But in principle I agree: If we could afford the manpower to keep all
comsumers compatible to the latest stable release of a library that
would be the ideal world. But we don't have that manpower, which is
not just packaging, but true upstream work.

A reality check shows that we even lack the definition of "latest
stable upstream release" in some cases like ffmpeg.

> >> I am not sure this is a good idea. I'd rather be stricter on this,
> >> because this would force devs to think about what they are doing and
> >> packagers think about the quality of what they are packaging.
> >>
> >> The unpleasant truth is: If a package bundles "modified libs/apps" from
> >> elsewhere, which can't be installed in parallel to the original
> >> libs/apps, this package's dev's are doing something wrong.
> >
> > The truth is that sometimes upstream makes some decisions, we can try
> > to forward our position, but upstream may ignore us or maybe will have
> > a good reason to counter our position (for ffmpeg and minilzo I believe
> > upstream is correct and we should be the ones revising the guidelines).
> >
> > That's why I suggest that the packager tries hard to do it in the
> > typical shared way, but if there are sane reasons to use internal libs
> > to not let the package dry out forever in some review queue like for
> > x11vnc.
>
> I am against this approach.  But perhaps you'll have a useful counter to
>  the points I raised.

The points you raised are nice in an ideal over manpowered world, but
in reality we see packages stalling in review queues forever instead.

Anyway, these were my 0.02. I'm not really seeing anyone from the FPC
favouring this, even less willing to pick this up and driving this
through, so I'll rather stick to agreeing to disagree. :)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net