[Fedora-packaging] Group tag in spec files

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 18:11:13 UTC 2008

Tim Jackson wrote:
> Just a thought: perhaps the Packaging Guidelines should have a comment
> about formulating the "Group" tag in spec files? If nothing else they
> could tell you to go and read /usr/share/doc/rpm-*/GROUPS, but a bit of
> advice would probably be welcome there, especially for new contributors.
>
> Currently it only has one passing reference to the Group tag (in
> relation to documentation-only packages).

We actually have discussed the Group tag at length in the Packaging
Committee.  Previously there was a Guideline that said the group tag had
to be from /usr/share/doc/rpm-*/GROUPS.  Eventually it was decided to
drop the tag since it makes more sense to keep group information
separate from the rpm.  Hence comps is where group information is
decided and the group tag is not something we worry about.

-Toshio