[Fedora-packaging] Re: Use of Internal Libraries

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Sep 19 17:01:50 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 02:59:22PM +0200, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> On Friday, 19 September 2008 at 09:59, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-09-19 at 10:34 +0300, Axel Thimm wrote:
> [...]
> > > Just to quote one such example: ffmpeg is a fast moving target, and
> > > any project depending on the lib API is cutting a checkout, patching
> > > it a up and using it for its own purposes. Replacing these internal
> > > ffmpegs with a system ffmpeg is a nightmare or even impossible w/o
> > > rewriting the app interface to it. Given that ffmpeg and friends fall
> > > under the patent forbidden class we don't see that directly in Fedora,
> > > but this issue is still out there.
> > Well, ffmpeg is a special case wrt. many issues. If they were doing a
> > proper job, they would release properly versioned packages with properly
> > versioned APIs, which could be installed in parallel.
>
> They(we) don't have the manpower to do proper releases, but we do maintain
> properly versioned API/ABI. The position of a release manager for FFmpeg
> has been open for months. Many people complained, but nobody is willing
> to do the legwork.

Actually I did, you can read it up at the archives, but the ffmpeg
devs didn't think this would be a good idea. The only positive
comments were from other distribution packagers that would have even
joined the release team taskforce, but w/o the developers' blessing
(and at the very least a "do it now" assignment) there wasn't much we
could do.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net