[Fedora-packaging] Please do not redefine %_bindir

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sun Sep 28 04:07:51 UTC 2008

Building the fedora 9 cpio package for a distribution that puts
install-info into /usr/bin (where it probably belongs - the info dir is
in /usr/share so /usr is going to be mounted when you run it, and users
can make there own info dir so it probably shouldn't be a /sbin or
/usr/sbin binary, but anyway ...)

So - to port the rpm I needed to change the references to
/sbin/install-info to %{_bindir}/install-info

After building, it would not install because - yup, the fedora spec file
redefines %_bindir at the top of the spec file to /bin

Don't do that.

There should be a packaging guideline against that.
It impacts more than just the %configure macro and the %files section,
which I assume is why it was done. It impacts anything else that uses
%{_binder}

just add --bindir=/bin to the end of the %configure line and specify
/bin/ in %files and don't redefine the filesystem path macros.

Thank you.