[Fedora-packaging] How Fedora is updated/built?

Cristian Morales Vega cmorve69 at yahoo.es
Sat Aug 1 16:41:10 UTC 2009

Hi,

I'm not a Fedora user, but looking at the repositories I saw that you
update things like KDE in a regular basis. That's uncommon, distros as
Ubuntu, Mandriva or openSUSE just release security updates and fixes
for really important bugs (frightened about the possibility of
upstream breaking ABI compatibility by error). At the same time I saw
some packages not updated... so, which exactly is the Fedora updates
policy?
What I'm most interested in is knowing if a package built against a
base (not updated) Fedora install is guaranteed to work with an
updated Fedora system. And, when you release an update to the latest
version of Amarok, is it built against the original distro/KDE or the
updated one? If you release an update from KDE 4.2.2 to 4.2.3, a new
Amarok package is also released (without changes, only rebuilt against
the new KDE)?

One cause I ask is because the openSUSE Build Service builds
everything against the original, not updated, Fedora. Is this a
problem?

Thanks.