[Fedora-packaging] ldconfig -X in scriptlets?

Miroslav Lichvar mlichvar at redhat.com
Wed Aug 5 15:07:18 UTC 2009

Hi,

I've recently come across an ldconfig issue when updating libraries.
Apparently rpm doesn't always call ldconfig in %postun, I've filed bug
#513224 for that. It doesn't seem to be a real bug though.

The problem is that when ldconfig in %post is called, there are both
old and new libraries on disk. If ldconfig thinks that the older
library is newer (according to some internal sorting function) it
will replace the packaged symlink with one that points to the other
library. After the older library is removed, next ldconfig call will
change the symlink back. But is this correct? If %post scriptlet had a
code that used the library, it would actually used the older one.

ldconfig has -X option which disables the symlink modifications, so
I'd like to propose adding the option to recommended %post (and
possibly also %postun) scriptlet to avoid such surprises.

Comments?

--
Miroslav Lichvar