[Fedora-packaging] Man pages Packaging Guideline

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 18:09:50 UTC 2009

Hey Ivana,

So the FPC met yesterday and voted against the Man Pages Draft as a Packaging
Guideline.  The basic reasoning is that the justification for voting against
the previous man pagesdraft:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MAN_pages_which_exists_in_other_places(draft)

was applicable here as well.  In particular, this was the conclusion of
discussion of that other draft:

"This draft conflicts with the general practice that Fedora packagers should
be working to send improvements directly to upstream. Anyone who feels
motivated to dig in other distributions for patches or improvements should
feel free to do so, but it is not something that the FPC felt should be
codified into the guidelines. "

The FPC did offer a few thoughts on what could be done with this, though:

* If FESCo wanted to make a policy that we should be striving to have
  some sort of coverage goal for man pages, then we'd definitely include
  packaging guidelines so that reviewers and packagers would know that
  making man pages is required.  This could be a FESCo policy like "Fedora
  wants to have 100% coverage of binaries in /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, and
  /usr/sbin"
* I'm going to be working on ways that we can restructure the Packaging
  Guidelines to be better organized this weekend (as part of FUDCon).  One
  aspect of that is figuring out how to make FESCo policies, non-guideline
  hints for packaging, and other things that are optional or just
  non-Guideline material better integrated so that packagers and reviewers
  can both know what's necessary for a Fedora Package and what things they
  can do to make their package really shine.  Finding a place for things
  like this draft there could be good.
  + As part of that, we do currently have a page that lists tricks and tips
    for making better packages that go above and beyond the Guidelines:
      https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging_tricks
    That wiki page is open for anyone to write to so you should be able to
    add your man page stuff there (or link from it) for the time being.

-Toshio