[Fedora-packaging] file permissions, guidelines, rpmlint

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Mon Dec 7 22:21:49 UTC 2009

O.K. so apparently my understanding of sane file/directory permissions
seems to quite divergent from rpmlint's. So I went to both the Fedora
Packaging Guildelines and FHS in a attempt to resolve the discrepancy
and discovered both the Guildlines and FHS offer virtually no information.

* Is there a reference which states what file/directory permissions
should be and a rationale?

* Should rpmlint really be emitting warnings and errors for items not in
the guidelines? (not just about file/directory but a number of other
issues which frankly seems dubious). If rpmlint and the guidelines are
divergent then should rpmlint be a recommended tool during package review?

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>

Looking to carve out IT costs?
www.redhat.com/carveoutcosts/