[Fedora-packaging] review cgilib issues

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Mon Feb 16 23:17:41 UTC 2009

MS> Current guidelines disallow static libs,

That is not true.  They merely discourage it.  "Package doesn't build
as a dynamic library" is certainly sufficient justification.

MS> reviewers point that out, packagers make up a soname and version,
MS> and reviewers accept it.

If they're going to make up a soname, they should at least start at
0.  However, I don't see how the issue of inventing a soname is
relevant here.

MS> Instead, they ought to reject such packages and request
MS> involvement of upstream developers in deciding on a soname and
MS> library versioning scheme.

Certainly we shouldn't be going to steps to turn static libraries into
dynamic ones without at least trying to talk to upstream about the
issue.  We shouldn't be making _any_ significant alterations to any
packaged software without trying to talk to upstream.

 - J<