[Fedora-packaging] I wish to package some CC licensed content ...

steve steve at lonetwin.net
Wed Feb 18 17:03:48 UTC 2009

Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> On 2009-02-17 at 20:08:35 -0500, steve <steve at lonetwin.net> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Most of my reading these days is done on my laptop[1]. This includes
>> both tech (docs and tutorial types) as well as non-tech books.
>>
>> So, I was pleasantly surprised when I saw 'diveintopython' listed in my
>> yum search listings (I was searching for comic book readers).
>>
>> I like the idea of being able to 'yum install' or 'yum search', or even
>> 'yum groupinsatall' books (or any CC content for that matter, eg: music,
>> video ..etc). If packaging such content is encouraged, I'd gladly
>> package most of the CC content I've accumulated.
>>
>> Does Fedora has a policy or guideline about these things ?
>
> We do:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#Code_Vs_Content
>
> The rule of thumb is that it must enhance the Fedora user experience.

Sorry, I missed that. Yes, that makes sense. The Fedora package collection as it
stands right now may not be the best place for something like this.

> With that said, if there is interest in doing this on a large scale, it
> might be worth considering making a separate Fedora CC Content
> Repository. I'll defer that decision to FESCo.

Yes ! I do think, having a separate repo would be a good thing. Having it Fedora
endorsed, might need consideration and a nod by the FESCo, though I think I'll
start working on creating a yum repo and some packages with the cc content I have.

regards,
- steve

--
Linux Centric Marketplace: http://www.tuxcompatible.com