[Fedora-packaging] Guidelines for waf usage?

Michel Salim michel.sylvan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 16:29:56 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 7:16 AM, Christoph Wickert
<christoph.wickert at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Am Sonntag, den 22.02.2009, 22:42 -0500 schrieb Michel Salim:
>> On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 8:16 AM, Christoph Wickert
>> <christoph.wickert at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> > Are there any guidelines, hints or whatever for using the waf build tool
>> > in Fedora? A search in the wiki returns nothing and looking though some
>> > specs I see they all handle way different.
>> >
>> The upstream documentation is probably canonical:
>>
>> http://freehackers.org/~tnagy/wafbook152/index.html
>>
>> Which specs are you looking at? Is the "guideline" basically about
>> whether to use the bundled waf or the system-provided one?
>
> This is the most important question, but there are  others: What log
> level should we use? waf is very silent by default. Fedora specific
> compiler flags, parallel build...

This is probably a good place to discuss a guideline, and we can
either add this to the wiki later, or include such a guideline
document with the Waf we ship.

- Bundling: assuming new Waf releases are backward-compatible, we
should probably default to recommending the use of system Waf for
Fedora packages, for the same reason that this is recommended in
general -- there might be bugfixes, etc. that were not available when
upstream did the packaging of the source.

- compiler flags, logs: the following options are relevant

"""
CFLAGS

    Selects compilation options for when the C compiler is used, e.g. "-Wall".

CXXFLAGS

    Selects compilation options for when the C++ compiler is used,
e.g. "-Wall".
"""

Seems like CFLAGS="$RPM_BUILD_OPTS -Werror" should do the trick.

- parallel build:
"""
JOBS

    The amount of parallel jobs when building targets, if no --jobs
option is given.
"""

waf takes the short option -j as well, so this is almost identical to
using make:
waf build %{?_smp_mflags}

It looks like there's already a page for using cmake:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Cmake so the Waf page should
eventually end up there, after going through PackagingDraft.

Regards,

--
miʃel salim  •  http://hircus.jaiku.com/
IUCS         •  msalim at cs.indiana.edu