[Fedora-packaging] Stupid question

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Mon Feb 2 06:30:57 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 12:11 AM, Jeroen van Meeuwen <kanarip at kanarip.com> wrote:

> I've taken over the ruby package, which basically is the first
> core-component piece of software on my relatively small list of packages.
>
> Attached is a patch that was in ruby-1.8.6, and that I rebased to
> ruby-1.8.7. Since it's a really simple patch, I wonder why it's not
> upstream.
>
> I'm not sure what this fixes, in that ruby will build without the patch as
> well. I've searched through the logs to see if there's some kind of warning
> related to socket.c, but there is none from what I can tell.
>
> I'd love to learn what this patch does and then try and get upstream to
> accept it (so that I have less work to do). Can someone on this list help me
> with this?

For a while back in February of '08 was some breakage in glibc where
NI_MAXHOST wasn't defined anymore (at least not under the usual
circumstances that Fedora programs are/were compiled), thus breaking
the build of many different packages, Ruby included.  From the looks
of that patch the Ruby developers anticipated NI_MAXHOST being
undefined, but flubbed the fixup.  Certainly seems like the patch
should be upstream to me...

--
Jeff Ollie

"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then
I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the
terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve
them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and
unfairness of the universe."

	-- Marcus to Franklin in Babylon 5: "A Late Delivery from Avalon"