[Fedora-packaging] Stupid question

Uwe Kubosch uwe at kubosch.no
Mon Feb 2 08:33:38 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-02 at 07:11 +0100, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> I've taken over the ruby package, which basically is the first
> core-component piece of software on my relatively small list of packages.
>
> Attached is a patch that was in ruby-1.8.6, and that I rebased to
> ruby-1.8.7. Since it's a really simple patch, I wonder why it's not
> upstream.

Please do not move the Ruby 1.8 package to 1.8.7.  The consensus in the
Ruby community is that 1.8.7 introduces unnecessary incompatibilities
without really adding value.  1.8.7 is meant as a transitional package
to Ruby 1.9, but the majority of Ruby users will want to keep using Ruby
1.8.6 until they switch directly to Ruby 1.9.1.  You should focus on
maintaining Ruby 1.8.6 and Ruby 1.9.1 in parallel.  Ruby 1.8.7 should be
passed over unless there is a very clear demand from Fedora users to
introduce it.

--
With kind regards,
Uwe Kubosch