[Fedora-packaging] Guidelines#DuplicateFiles clarification

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon Feb 16 09:47:51 UTC 2009

Le Lun 16 février 2009 10:08, Michael Schwendt a écrit :

> On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 13:55:09 -0800, Toshio wrote:
>
>> I mean, what are examples when packagers should include files or
>> directories in two %files sections for separate subpackages.
>
> No -common pkg, no shared main pkg, but multiple subpackages which may
> be
> installed independently. Imagine plugin pkgs: one for MySQL, another
> one
> for Postgresql, even another one for SQLite ... you may want to put
> %doc files into each subpkg.

However, the problem with "MAY" is that it's very difficult to
document simply and complex guidelines are guidelines no one
understands or follows.

For better or worse multi-font packages use the -common model. It's
probably massively overkill when -common just has one .txt file in it
(plus a dir, plus correct deps), but every single attempt on my part
to document "MAY" resulted in problems for the unwary packager or
reviewer (in some cases, rather embarrassingly, me included).

So my target now is to have subpackages as simple as possible, dep
complexity in -common, and too bad if -common is tiny in many cases.
It's better than spread dep complexity over many subpackages and have
to explain releng why a big pdf/doc documentation file is duplicated
many times over.

--
Nicolas Mailhot