[Fedora-packaging] I wish to package some CC licensed content ...

steve steve at lonetwin.net
Wed Feb 18 18:11:35 UTC 2009

Hi Lyos,

Lyos Gemini Norezel wrote:

> Question... where would such content be installed?
> In the users ~/music , ~/video, etc? or a system-wide location?
I was thinking of doing it in a system-wide location (same as the documentation
content, ie: /usr/share/{music,video,books,doc}/) ...but that's just me. Maybe
if there is real interest in doing this, we could come up with a content
packaging guideline of some sort.

> Seem, to me, like such content should be installed as a user, not root
> (ie., seemingly impossible with yum), because not every user on a
> given system will want said content.
Same holds true for a lot of already packaged content (fonts, images, docs ...etc).

> On the other hand, if installed on a system-wide location, how do you
> provide access to the ordinary (unprivileged) user?
Same way as we already do '/usr/share/*' is readable by everybody.

>> Yes ! I do think, having a separate repo would be a good thing. Having
>> it Fedora endorsed, might need consideration and a nod by the FESCo,
>> though I think I'll start working on creating a yum repo and some
>> packages with the cc content I have.
>>
>> regards,
>> - steve
> In this case, I happen to agree, though I question the use of yum to
> provide such content (see above).
I think yum would be good, because it already provides a the capabilities to
track (cc content could be upgraded too -- for example, the lld editions),
search (...the rpm headers), arrange in groups (for example all works by certain
artist) and manage (if you are like me, you can pretty soon lose track of where
you downloaded stuff, not so with files that a package provide) your collections.

The other advantage of course is having a repo would imply the ability to browse
through the content. I am thinking we can do for content what rpm did for software.

Now, all that said, if people think this discussion should not continue here, we
can move it someplace else.

cheers,
- steve
--