[Fedora-packaging] I wish to package some CC licensed content ...

Michel Salim michel.sylvan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 04:02:17 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 2:02 PM, Lyos Gemini Norezel
<lyos.gemininorezel at gmail.com> wrote:
> steve wrote:
>>
>> Hi Lyos,
>>
>> Lyos Gemini Norezel wrote:
>>>
>>> Question... where would such content be installed?
>>> In the users ~/music , ~/video, etc? or a system-wide location?
>>
>> I was thinking of doing it in a system-wide location (same as the
>> documentation content, ie: /usr/share/{music,video,books,doc}/) ...but
>> that's just me. Maybe if there is real interest in doing this, we could come
>> up with a content packaging guideline of some sort.
>
> I don't know about your system... but my system already has 349 folders in
> /usr/share ... which would likely be overwhelming to John Q Public.
> I'd suggest a different, perhaps dedicated, location if it is to be
> system-wide.

If it's under /usr, it'd really have to be somewhere in %{_datadir},
i.e. /usr/share. And given that Fedora does not even use /opt, it's
hard to see it going somewhere else. Although perhaps
/usr/share/fedora-cc/{books,music,video,...} is less scattered than
/usr/share/{books,music,video,...}.

One consideration would be to have a fedora-cc-menus similar to
games-menus, that would make sure any contents appear in a reasonable
place in a user's applications menu.

Regards,

--
miʃel salim  •  http://hircus.jaiku.com/