[Fedora-packaging] I wish to package some CC licensed content ...

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Fri Feb 20 14:12:36 UTC 2009

Le vendredi 20 février 2009 à 07:32 -0600, steve at lonetwin.net a écrit :

> Umm ...well, i thought about this and seems to me that relocation *is*
> a bad idea for software. I can't think of the same arguments applying
> for content which is by it's nature self contained.

Content is not by nature self-contained. The WWW is mostly content and
you have links and relations all over the place. By allowing relocation
you:
— make yum upgrades fail
– prevent OpenOffice, for example to present a nice selection of CC
images for use in impress
– prevent a book from referencing another
– prevent software from referencing manuals or books on the same field
of interest
– prevent cataloging apps from emerging
— prevent sounds and videos from being reused in games
— prevent reader helpers from working (cf the existing Bible/Kuran
helpers, and if done right people would write helpers for more mundane
content)

All this to help people engage in gratuituous file placement like in
windows, when they can achieve the same effects with symlinks and
filesystem mounts without breaking the installer.

Relocation is a false good idea. It is broken by default as was proved
many times over whenever someone actually tried to use it.

--
Nicolas Mailhot