[Fedora-packaging] %define => %global change accepted

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 20:36:02 UTC 2009

Gianluca Sforna wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 7:57 PM, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> wrote:
>> This is an FYI to Guidelines authors past and future that FESCo and the
>> FPC approved the change to use %global instead of %define.  I don't know
>> of anyplaces that should remain %define so I'm going to start changing
>> everyplace on the wiki that uses %define to %global.  Someone stop me if
>> they know of an exception to this.
>
> Will existing packages be checked and/or forced to use %global ?

Not at this time.  The reason for changing this is that many of our uses
of %define only work because of a bug in rpm.  %global actually is
documented to have the semantics that we want.

So we're updating the Guidelines to show %global and new packages should
be using instead of %define.  It is also a good idea for people to
change from %define to %global as it can lead to unexpected behaviour
when something causes rpm to have %define perform as it was documented
to.  However, if you are not currently triggering the conditions that
cause errors, we know of no plans to fix the rpm bug so we are not
requiring that you change your code now.

Details here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/global_preferred_over_define

-Toshio