[Fedora-packaging] Confused by non-numeric version in release guideline

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Jan 13 22:14:07 UTC 2009

Patrice Dumas schrieb:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 07:07:15PM +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>
>> Urgh, ... insane overengineering, IMNSHO.
>>
>> All you are doing is adding confusion on user-expections on versions
>> strings and avoidable hassle to package maintainers.
>
> It really depends on the case at hand. All of those alternatives have
> issues (epoch versus not following upstream).
Not quite - All "upstream version" -> "rpm EVR" schemes have issues
somewhere, no matter which scheme is favored.

> Chosing the right one
> would mean knowing the future,
There is no "everlasting right one", there only are "temporary right ones"

> since this is not really easy, letting
> the maintainer chose one of the possibilities, but in an informed way
> is, in my opinion, the best.
My view is different: A package's maintainer has to find a reasonable
compromise between upstream, user-expectation, ease of maintenance and
technical possibilities - Choose bizarre version tags is not helpful to
anybody.

Or differently: If upstream chooses alpha-numeric versions, it would be
silly to use "integer versions" in Fedora.

Ralf