[Fedora-packaging] Packing Hadoop

Fabian Deutsch fabian.deutsch at gmx.de
Fri Jan 16 20:07:50 UTC 2009

Hello,

I'm quite new to packing up packages for Fedora.
It might not be the simplest package to create, but I quite like hadoop
and wanted to package it up, so it's easier to maintain on Fedora based
boxes.

There are a couple of issues I ran into:
- Can I explicitly require a java package not just to be installed, but
also to be the the selected alternative?
(openjdk ist required at build- and runtime)

- Where to put those jars?
  I'm suggesting /usr/share/java

- What about missing dependencies?
  There are some jars required which are not packed up in Fedora yet.
I'm not allowed to use the binary-jars distributed in the hadoop
tarball?

- Scripts
  There are scripts to run hadoop and dfs (bin/start-all, stop-all, ...)
  Where shall I put them? Create a custom user, as postgres does?

Maybe someone can share experience to solve this issues ..

- fabian