[Fedora-packaging] Confused by non-numeric version in release guideline

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 17:34:17 UTC 2009

Tom Lane wrote:
> Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> writes:
>> The fourth, while closest to what upstream has, includes an alpha
>> character in the version which is something that is explicitly forbidden
>> in the Packaging Guidelines.  If you want to use that, we'll need to
>> vote on an amendment to allow it.
>
> Really?  Don't expect me to adhere to that guideline when packaging
> something whose upstream uses a letter in the version number.

Instead of complaining, get it fixed.

1) Figure out what upstream version number has a problem.
2) Write a draft to change the guideline with the justification
3) Put it under PackagingDrafts and list it on the PackagingDrafts/ page.

Alternatively to #2, use your justification to convince someone else to
do steps 2+ for you.

-Toshio